All about landing/post-landing in Canada as a PR


Landing in Canada

Landing in Canada

I came across a very insightful and useful post today in the “Canadavisa Immigration Forum”. This was posted by the user Nicolas4786. There is a lot of good content on this forum. To be honest, this forum is considered a one stop shop for all questions related to Immigration, Work, Study and life in Canada.

Thanks a lot Nicholas4786 for posting this very valuable information. I am sharing it here so that many many people will read and benefit from it. Below is the content of the post posted by the user mentioned above:

All You Need to Know About Landing…

Hi friends,

I hope it helps…

Can we Land in Any City:
Which City to Land for Jobs:
Landing Forms:
Job’s In Perspective:

After getting the PR visa, we are supposed to complete our ‘record of landing’, on or before the Visa Expiry Date [mentioned on the visa]. The visa Expiry Date is related to EITHER*:
a) 1yr. from the meds, or
b) Passport expiry date of the PA or anyone of his/her accompanying Dependents
*Whichever of the above 2 is earlier.

It is the obligation of the PA to ‘land’ first. Which can be ‘along with’ one or more or all the accompanying family members. Let it be clear that the PA’s dependents CANNOT land first.

Irrespective of which city we chose to land, the ‘landing’ per say, is a simple process. Before debarking the a/craft we’ll be provided with a ‘Disembarkation Card/Form’. We take that form & first go to the ‘Passport Control’.

At the Passport Control:
Here we need to inform the IO that we have come to do our ‘landing’. The IO will check our Disembarkation Card and our passport/s & visa. S/he will then direct us to “Newly Landed Immigrants’ Counter”.

At the Immigration Counter:
The IO here will scrutinize our Passport/s & COPRs. He would [sometimes may not] ask to see our POF. Most of the times the officer will not count the ‘actual’ money & accept what we say. But, no false pretensions there. S/he will then fill some portions of the COPR & ask us to sign it, wherein it’ll be attached on our passport. We’ll be asked to fill-in the ‘PR Card Application Form’ & give an address where our PR cards will be forwarded within 3-6 weeks. Thereby, s/he would ‘Welcome us to Canada’ and direct us to another office.

At the Services Canada Office:
The Services Canada section is for assisting the Newcomers’ settlement moves. Here we’ll get lots of books/pamphlets, that will provide all the crucial info on Canada and our Settlement plan here. From here will be directed to the CBSA counter.

At the CBSA [Customs] Office:
This is an important location. We are required to present (1) List of Items Accompanying; (2) List of Goods to Follow; (3) Currency Declaration [We’d have to ‘declare’ any amount of $10K or more]. Lists-1 & 2 must be brought in 2 copies, one would be retained by CBSA and the 2nd copy will be returned back to us. We’ll need the 2nd copy when our shipments come-in.

Note: [1] If we are not bringing-in any goods later, we don’t need the ‘goods to follow list’. [2] At a random the CBSA might ‘actually’ check the POF here. Thus, no complacency is acceptable. [3] If there are ‘jewelry’ involved, do not forget to bring ‘Printed Photographs’ of the same (details later).

BTW: All the officers are extremely friendly, very understanding, cheerful and helpful. We’ll encounter ‘Welcome to Canada’ many a times. If all the docs are pre-printed & available with us; and there is not much of a queue, we will be out of the a/port in 40mins-1hr. flat. Which includes the walk-distance, baggage collection etc.

Even if you stay ONLY for a day at Canada, you will need the following:

1. Passport with stamped Visa. -off course
2. COPR (IMM 5292B)
3. POF. [for cases “without” AEO & family class] (details below)
4. Passport size photos. -2 or 3 for PRC (may not be needed, but good to have)
5. PR Card Application (IMM 5444E). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
6. Goods to Follow List (Form B4 / B4A). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
7. Goods Accompanying List. -as above, a table of things u r carrying on person (value & Totaled)
Forms required later
8. SIN Card Apps Form (NAS 2120). -Not Needed at the A/port [later at Services Canada]
9. Kids Immunization Record. -Not Needed at the A/port [later for School Admission]
10. If you are Driving your Car. -read below

NOTE: The more you are organized before hand, the better 1st impression you deliver and the IO/CBSA officer shall be happier. (BTW: smooth & fast processing). You’ll be out faster. Go to your accommodation & relax for the day, you had a long journey, haven’t you?

For sure you must arrange a ‘short-stay’ accommodation prior to your landing. The necessity of which cannot be overemphasized more. If you have friends/relatives, they can be approached for the same, if you do not have anyone, the following is recommended:

*Both provide a/port pick-up services. The places are used by many satisfactorily.

Not much such places are available. However, this ad by a service-provider caught my eye…
“Furnished rooms with high speed internet are available for newcomers & immigrants. Close to all amenities. Pick up & drop off services also available. Call Girish # 403-255-8582 [or email:] for more info”.


Some other important sites on Vancouver are:

NOTE: Except for ppl with enough $$$ to spend, avoid Hotels & Motels. They are far costlier. Also, if you must take a hotel, avoid the ones close to the A/port -for obvious reasons.

The best way to do house hunting [long-term accommodation] is to land at Canada & then start searching. Word of mouth & Bulletin Boards are a great ‘real-time’ source. However, we cannot condone the importance of the web. Some of the good sites [there are many] could be:
a) (Good site)
b) (Property Management Services)
c) (Good Classifieds site)
d) (Mother of all)

What Proofs Are Acceptable?
If you are carrying more than C$10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:
• Cash
• Securities in bearer form (for eg, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
• Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for eg, B/drafts, Cheques, TCs or MOs).

How Much Funds Can I Carry?
There is no Max limit… we can take Millions, if we can prove its legitimate source & declare anything at/or more than $10,000 [that’s the CBSA regulation]. There is a Minimum limit though… we must carry at least or more than what CIC requirement states, via-a-vis for the no. of pax in the family [accompanying].

Tax & Duties Component:
The funds we bring inside Canada are Non-Taxable. It is only the ‘interest’ earned on that which is taxed. The moment our funds start accruing interest [while lying in a Canadian Bank a/c] the bank will start deducting tax ‘on source’. The same applies for any ‘investment’ in Canada that we make with these funds.

Though most international banks operate in Canada, the 3 main Canadian Banks are presumably the best, in terms of their presence, availability & location of ATM machines, branches etc.:
1) Scotiabank,
2) TD Bank, &

Besides, you can also pre-open a Canadian Bank a/c from your home country [not all, Dubai, India etc.] thru Scotiabank, SBI & *ICICI Bank. I have posted details about it earlier here:

*ICICI Bank offers one of the cheapest a/c charges. But unfortunately, both ICICI & SBI have very limited presence in Canada.

Usually BA & KLM change places frequently for their “lowest fares” to Canada. More often it’d be BA [especially from the UK, Dubai, Europe & the Gulf sector]. U can also ask your travel agent to select between multiple carriers to provide multiple-halt choices. But, from the UK actually that might not be required. Check BA today, it’ll do the trick… Dubai-Heathrow-Toronto : AED 3,860/pp return.

However, personal choise prevails. Sometimes other carriers place envious promotions too. Emirates has recently commenced the A380 [Dream liner] service. And all their flights are ‘long-haul’ -Non Stop.

NOTE: If our $$$ are a consideration, avoid ‘non-stop’ flights. They obviously are costlier. A single-stop flight is highly recommended. Also, we might avoid travel agents as well, the ‘online’ reservation of all the prominent carriers are absolutely good. I did mine thru BA & it was fantastic. Paid, printed and became an ‘Executive Club’ member -all thru the net. The e-ticket shall be delivered, on-the-spot, in your email in-box.

Your PR Card application (IMM 5444E) shall be done at the POE itself. It is part of the PR package [free] and the photos & details will be the same as you supplied for the PPR. Our PR Card/s come back to us via regular post mail, in 3-6 weeks, avg. 4 weeks. It is ‘advisable’ to stay in Canada for at least 45 days, collect our PRC and then return back [if you must].

If you leave the country before it arrives, you’ll have to make arrangements for its collection & forward delivery to you, overseas, thru a friend/relative [Not a Recommended Action], however, done all the time by people. But there is a danger of losing it in transit. And if that happens, we’ll have a tedious process to get new ones made.

How To Enter Canada W/Out A PR Card:
As per IATA & CBSA regulations, we cannot enter Canada w/out a PRC. However, if we are entering thru a Border Post by road, it doesn’t matter -our COPR is enough for entry/exit. But, if we are traveling by an airline & boarding/entering thru an a/port we will Not be Permitted. At the embarkation port itself we will be Stopped by the airline staff.

The process in such cases is to apply for a ‘PRTD-A31 (3)’ [Temporary ‘PR Travel Document’] at the local CHC [abroad]. It costs Ca$50. Details of it is provided at the ‘Manual for Permanent Resident Card’ (ENF 27).

Procedure Of PR Card Application:

NOTE: The PRC is probably the ‘most important’ document after we are thru with our PR application process. This is valid for 5 yrs. First time: Free; Renewals cost $50/card.

After ‘landing’ we’ll have to visit the nearest Services Canada Office for the SIN Card. We get the SIN No. immediately as a ‘print-out’ -signed & stamped upon applying, the same day, the same time. That would suffice for all our further actions in Canada, viz Job Search, Bank a/c, House Hunting etc. The card shall come to us in approx 3 weeks. For its collection -ditto applies as above, for the PR Cards.

NOTE: Remember, we don’t need the SIN Card for anything. Only the SIN No. Which we’ll get the same time as we apply for it. It’d be wise to visit Services Canada Office the very next day upon arrival.

Both PR Card & SIN Cards are Federal documents. Meaning? One card for the entire nation -Canada.

Health is a provincial matter. It is NOT FEDERAL. Thus, if you change provinces, you’ll have to AGAIN get that province’s Health Card. And again the waiting period* shall apply. Off course, a previous province’s health card remains valid for few days/months in another province, but not all benefits could be availed.

*The Waiting Period:
As I know, Alberta [eg. Calgary, Edmonton etc] & Manitoba [eg. Winnipeg] are the Only provinces where there is NO WAITING period for the Health Insurance. Rest in all provinces there is some waiting time to get the Health Benefits. In Ontario [eg. Toronto, Ottawa etc.] it is 3 months.

Eg.: If Calgary Is My Destination Should I Get The H/Card In Toronto?
If Calgary is your Final Destination, but you are ‘initially’ landing in Toronto for a few days stay [Permitted action], I suggest you should first land in Calgary [get the health card] and then visit Toronto. Why? Mainly because, you can get the Calgary health card immediately, but in Toronto you’ll not. That Calgary health card will be valid in Toronto for a few days. Not the vice-versa. Secondly, if you land first in Toronto, you’ll be staying w/out any health coverage.

Temp. Health Coverage:
It’s wise to obtain a ‘temporary’ health coverage before you fly. Off course not required if you are going to Alberta or Manitoba. That temp. coverage shall come in the way of “Travel Insurance”, which you can obtain from ANY insurance company in your homeland. The costs depends on the length of coverage. Usually we should take it for 3-4 months, as that is the waiting time in all provinces.

NOTE: It’ll be a good idea to obtain the Travel Insurance from home country. For 2 reasons: [1] You are covered from day-1 even before landing. [2] In Canada it will be costlier & you’ll be covered only from the day you apply. What if you get to do it later, as you’ll be busy in the initial days? What if something goes wrong in between?

There is a way to obtain at least the Ontario G2 Driving License immediately, if not the G1. For that some pre-arranged actions are needed, before you fly. I’ve written in detail on it. Check out this link:

Firstly, it is Not wise to bring-in Cars from any other country into Canada. Why? Cars are quite competitively priced in Canada. It’s only its maintenance & the cost of Gas that’ll kill you. Secondly, Canadian models are made specifically to withstand the ‘extreme’ cold conditions there. Our imported cars might not [less the ones from European or similar countries].

Thirdly, there are laws for Tire, Radiator etc. modifications, before we can register it in Canada. Why would we like to take that trouble? Fourthly, the transportation costs? It might just not be worth to bring-in cars from far-flung countries.

Import Cars From The Us:
Yes, be free to bring your car/s from the US by all means. But ‘remember’, we need to first ‘export’ the car from the US and again ‘import’ it into Canada, after we get-in. Documentations… documentations… However, quite a good detail about it is provided in this website:

Very debatable… I would say, do your maths first. Is the extra baggage costs worth the effort? Most items are readily available in Canada, also at very reasonable price.

Ditto for Indian Food & Spices [Rice, Dal, Pickles, Papad (?) etc.] And ditto for Italian [Pasta, Lasagna etc.], Japanese [Sushi, Tapanyaki, Teriyaki etc.], Tex-Mex, you name it.

Besides, many items are also not permitted entry. And there is otherwise a quality/quantity restriction as well. Check the CBSA website for those. Moreover, hiring a container full of goods? I’d say No… No. It may not be worthwhile at all.

What To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Personal effects [for imdt use, large quantities… No]
2. General clothing [some warm ones also]
3. Laptop [no desk top, printer etc.]
4. Digicam / Camcorder
5. Heirlooms [heritage collections, murals, artifacts etc.] -Check CBSA rules.
6. Original Certificates / Documents
7. Prescription Medicines
8. Books & DVDs
9. Mobile Phone* [non CDMA] -a NA charger will be needed
*Only GSM850-1900MHz models [that’s the Canadian frequency -not all countries have that]

What “Not” To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Furniture [whatever, small or big]
2. TV [even if it’s an LCD], Fridge, Washing machine etc.
3. Curtains, Bedspreads, Pillows & linens
4. Cars, Bikes etc.
5. Large-sized Toys of kids
6. Food [Perishable or Non-perishable] items
7. Over-the-Counter Medicines
8. Meat or Meat products [including Fowl, Fish etc.]

NOTE: Asian make electronic/electrical items won’t work in Canada. [read 230 vs 110 Volts]

All goods that we carry, either ‘on person’ or ‘following’ needs to be ‘listed’ in form B4 / B4A, separately. These forms are available in the CBSA website, link given below:

It is the same form for ‘Goods Accompanying’ & ‘Goods to follow’. We should club similar items in groups [eg. DVDs: Qty-98, Books: Qty-42 etc.].

The entire list should be priced against each group & totaled in the end. We should carry ‘original’ invoices for high-end items [Diamonds -MUST]. Others can be broadly/generally priced, but appropriate.

Jewelry items MUST be listed [each item wise]; and should carry their “photographs”. We should print-out the pics under similar groups [eg. Rings -all in one or more pages, Necklaces -in another page etc.]

We’ll need 2 copies of each form, as one would be kept by the CBSA & one would be returned to us, for ‘customs’ clearance. This 2nd copy will be signed & stamped by the CBSA at the POE.

NOTE: All goods brought for ‘landing’ are non-taxed. If we were to bring-in goods ‘later’, either by personal carriage or thru a transporter, this list MUST be stamped on the 1st Landing. Else, they will be ‘dutiable’. No compromise on that is possible. That’s the law.

Canada has 2 types of schools -the ‘Public Schools’ & the ‘Catholic Schools’. There are some ‘ethnic’ schools as well, but not for regular education. Most of our kids [say 70%] go to the Public Schools -this education is FREE. The Catholic Schools are Fee-Paid [payable by us].

Usually, our kids will be accepted imdtly into the *neighborhood school, whether we arrive mid-term or during a new session. There can be an ‘entry test’, but that’s not for rejection -but for assessment of the extra care that the school need to provide to a kid.

Even if our kids are not very good in either of the 2 Canadian official languages -English &/or French, by law a school is required to provide admission to our kids.

*Each neighborhood will have their own Public School/s; and our kids are required to ONLY be admitted there. We have no choice on that. The only way out [if we think that a particular school is better] is to move our residence to that area [neighborhood]. We have to provide our ‘residency contract’ for this purpose.

School Websites:
Each province [& some cities] has its own ‘school District Board’. All information can be viewed in those websites.
1) An example is the ‘Toronto Dist. School Board’, check this link:
2) For a ‘ranking’ overview of Canadian schools, you may like to check the following link:

NOTE: Do not be hooked by the thought that the Catholic Schools are better than the Public Schools. Both are equally competitive in Edu-care. In fact some of the Public Schools are ‘excellent’ & remember, 70% Canadian kids study in them.

Click HERE to read this post on the Canadavisa Immigration forum.

29 thoughts on “All about landing/post-landing in Canada as a PR

  1. Awesome , i don’t think any one as far as i know will give information like what you have shared . Greatest information .

    Thank you .


  2. Hi,

    I planned to immigrate to Canada very soon. I have done my IELTS and I scored Overall – 6 band
    Listening – 7 band
    Reading – 6 band
    Writing – 5.5 band
    Speaking – 6 band
    Am I eligible to entry through express entry?

    I have 3 years of experience and am holding bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering. I’ve got my WES report, Am planning to immigrate alone.

    Kindly someone let me know.

    Thanks and regards,


      • Unfortunately, I can’t. Getting a job offer before applying ( I assume you want points for your job offer for PR application) is difficult.

        To be able to get points for job offer, it has to be supported by positive LMIA which is hard to get and expensive for the employer. There are so many PRs here, ready to be hired – why would an employer hire a foreign worker who is not yet in Canada?

        Having said that, you can give it a try. It might be difficult and unlikely but not impossible.


      • One more thing, some of the consultant says that I need to score 8777 to enter the express entry program, is that true?


  3. Hi. I’d like to know how we can go to canada again the second time after landing there first post getting COPR? E.g. if I land there in November 2018 and wish to come back to India, say in a week, I will not get my PR card for sure. Would give my relative’s address (Canada) for it to be dispatched. How then to land in Canada the next time without PR card?


      • I will be landing next month.and right now in a bit of a dilema, The issue is I have booked my tickets from hyd to toronto via montreal.Toronto being the destination via montreal.Will the port of entry be considered as montreal and will it cause any issues since it is quebec.


  4. Hi Raj

    I am going to do my landing in May but I will be able to stay only for a few days. I have to return to the work location in EU. I wanted to check if you have insight on the below:
    1. Is it okay to get insured for only 4-5 days while I am there in the beginning and when I return I get proper insurance.
    2. I have read that if I cannot wait for my pR card I should apply for a travel document. Is it advisable to risk or should i just get it to my friends place. My problem is that I don’t know when I will see her next and am concerned if about shipping the card.
    I won’t be bringing anything with me as I feel cost of shipping is a lot and buying items there would be better.


    • 1. Yes, that’s fine.
      2. When you land, you MUST provide an address for your PR card to be sent. If you don’t have an address at that time, you would have to provide an address within 180 days (not very sure about the number of days). You can provide the address of your friend in Canada and the PR card would be shipped to your friend. It takes around 2-3 months to get that done.

      When you want to enter Canada and you don’t have your PR card, you must apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) – this is a one time pass that will let you into Canada. You can collect your PR card from your friend.

      Alternatively, I’ve seen a ton of people provide friend’s address and have their friend mail the PR card to them. While sending a PR card via mail internationally is risky, this is an option (not sure if it is recommended though but I know a LOT of people who did this).


  5. Thank you. I am also confused about the POF. I provided the bank statements when I was in US and they will over a year old by the time I go there. I read somewhere that I need fresh POF and need to also bring some cash with me. I am only going there for 4 days. Not sure how much I should be bringing, I have savings in my bank account, since I wont be staying there yet I feel its pointless to take all that money with me and risky as well. I was planning to depend on my credit card for the expenses during my time there.

    What would be your advice.


    • To the officer, you are landing as a PR – so he has the right to ask for proof of funds (the full amount) but this doesn’t happen often. For instance, I was only asked how much I have, the officer did not ask to see proof.

      Now, since you are going to be staying only for 4 days, you don’t have to bring all of it to Canada at this time. Just make sure you have latest statements/letter from the bank that shows you still have the funds. Carry some cash only for your immediate expenses for your 4 days here. You can definitely use your credit card for your purchases here.

      In the 4 days, you can only apply for SIN. If you are landing in Ontario, you are eligible for health benefits only after 3 months of being in Ontario.


  6. Very good info, infact lots of information. Thanks so much for the details. Appreciate your hardwork for getting all this clear!


  7. Hi
    This is literally a last minute question for you, I am going to do my landing tomorrow. A lot has happened in the last month and I have not been able to fill out any of the forms due to some personal problems, I have now printed them and trying to fill them out. Since I have not yet landed I would think that the personal history, work and travel history in Canada would not apply to me. Section D residency obligation also doesnt seem relevant to me and I don’t have a SIN so the TAX declaration also seems not applicable.


    • What forms are you talking about? You only need goods to follow form if you are importing stuff later. I’m not sure other forms you are talking about – you already got your PR so you don’t have to worry about personal history and other sections in your eAPR anymore.


  8. Dear I have got copr with destination quebec and I am intending to land in Calgary for a while and move after will I face a problem during the landing and PR procedure in the port please advise


    • This should not be an issue.

      However, when you have a provincial nomination like that, it is better to have a onward ticket to somewhere in Quebec just in case.

      Good luck.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s